Friday, May 4, 2012

Astrodome No More, Hello Airflyte

So just a reminder for everyone, this is the trailer I started with, a fairly rare 1961 Shasta Astrodome. We liked the shape, in fact we loved it, but a couple issues came to light that forced us to change the shape to the more common Shasta Airflyte.

1) We needed to use a hitch extension to tow it with our Pathfinder, which I guess is safe, but seem to torque the hitch too much.
2) The upper front window frame was damaged by one of the Previous Owners and is pretty much impossible to replace. 
3) No kids or plans to have kids so we don't need the bunk, as only a kid could sleep up there.



Anybody who has ever done any work on a old Shasta knows they were not built very well. I decided to rebuild it with solid corners instead of the original little pieces of wood stapled together. 



Framing the walls is fairly easy when you have a complete original to go off of. But I was basically missing the front since that's where the Astrodome and Airflytes differ.  I had found a picture of  another Airflyte that was in restoration. Using what framing I had and the back ground in the picture I was able to scale the contours of the front roof.  It may not be perfect but its close.



Making the front curve template


This is the picture of  VSTF Forum member, FlyingHam, I used it to scale my contours. Using the siding on the house I figured it had about 2 1/2" to 3" fall to the front. I had a lot of the original uprights still in place so I used those for reference points.


The all new Walls: 

I used poplar instead of pine because I like working with better, its a little harder than pine but seems to weight the same or less, and since I own a custom cabinet shop I can buy it much cheaper than pine!


Street Side


Curb Side


No comments:

Post a Comment